Sharla Hicks current Zentangle Class Schedule
at Soft Expressions Warehouse Click Here
Annual Dancing with Petals, Tangle-Inspired Botanical
Zentangle Retreat in Big Bear, California
Dates in spring and fall, small classes (8-10 students)
Annual Big Bear Lake Zentangle Retreat
Where: Big Bear, California
More Information, Click Here
Zentangle Dance of the Petals & Leaves &
Exploring the Color Dance to Zentangle Inspired Art
Mixed Media Studio Open 24 Hours a Day
4 days of non-stop tangling (20 plus hours) and comradery with fellow tanglers
take home a new outlook on your creative journey in tangling
Sharla R. Hicks CZT 5 & 11
Cordon Bleu Trained Chef, Diana Hudson, CZT
The Magic of Zentangle
“Anything is Possible One Stroke at a Time”
Sharla R. Hicks, Certified Zentangle Teacher
Confused about the difference between Doodle & Zentangle®?**
The principle difference between Zentangle and doodling: Zentangle is teachable and uses step-by-step outlines using simple strokes (lines, curves, circles, dots) to create a pattern. Doodling is someone’s personal style of mark and pattern making and usually is not teachable.
The Certified Zentangle Teacher has been trained in the Zentangle teaching method by its founders Maria Thomas and Rick Roberts who developed the concept to break down patterns into step-by-step lines, curves, dashes, and circles. Their desire and a Certified Zentangle Teacher desire to support those who have been intimidated by drawing and doodling or those who want to expand their personal expression and art. PLUS the greatest benefit is tangling brings creative focus and relaxation.
- Class Benefits: The Zentangle® journey is creating One-of-a-Kind Abstract Art while finding relaxation that allows clarity and focus to tap into your personal creative intuition.
- Exploring Zentangle® patterns will improve your ability to create new textures, patterns, ideas for quilts, quilting lines, scrapbooking, cards, journals and more.
- With guidance, learn how to create one-of-a-kind Zentangle® tiles.
Interested in a Zentangle event, party, guild lecture or workshop or a specific date
please call and speak with Sharla: 888-545-8616
Tangled Expressions Blog Newsletter
Free monthly gathering
3rd Thursday each Month: Day & Evening Times
***Prerequisite: Attended Zentangle Basics (aka Intro Class 1) with a Certified Zentangle Teacher or with Sharla’s permission
NOTE: This group is setup in a friendship group format with Show & Tell, introduction to new tangles and working with alternative materials. Sharla is a guide and group participant. We will have access to a document camera for demonstration and the Internet so we can share our discoveries. Participants offer demos and mini workshops on techniques of interest to the group.
Day Session: 3rd Thursday of Every Month 1:00 to 3:30 p.m. NOTE: Many stay all afternoon and participate in the evening sessions.
Evening Session: Join us after work on the third Thursday of every month Presentation and Show & Tell will start around 6:00p.m. with the session ending at 8:00 p.m.
Zentangle Individual Classes & 8 Class Series
Current Schedule & Registration: Click Here
Tanglers let Sharla help you take your Zentangle to the next level
Sharla has been tangling almost daily for over 3 years. In that time she has had many ah-ha moments that she will teach you. Expand your understanding of how to bring YOUR OWN style to Zentangle, expand your tangle enhancer vocabulary and understanding of how to add depth, dimension and the ah-ha factor to your work. Below are examples of taking your tangles to the next level.
Sharla has been listening to what her students want and developed a new series of Zentangle classes with a Botanical and Organic Twist. Each class in the series builds on the skills learned in the previous class.
- Did you learn your tangles online or from a book and feel you have a handle on Zentangle?
- It might surprised you to know so did Sharla and it surprised her how much she learned when she attended formal Certified Zentangle Teacher training. She then spent the last 3 years exploring how to take that training, add in her 30+ years of fine art and textile education to her Zentangle Series: The Dance of Zentangle.
- Each Class will include an in-depth look at how tangles germinate from geometric into organic, and botanical patterns.
- Sharla will lead you in exercises that will help expand your own style and vision one stroke at a time as you learn you too can tap into artistic and creative expressions through the dance of the tangles.
Click Pictures for larger version
- Each Class includes time to evaluate the previous week’s work and learn from each other with personal insights and awe-ha moments.
- When you are done with this 8 part series, you will become a master of geometric tangles and learn the simple One Stroke at a Time Dance to make them more organic and botanical.
- Gain a deeper understanding of the value of Zentangle beyond the tile, paper and pen as it opens a mindful focus that allows creativity to flow at the same time it is relieving the stress of the day.
- Each class includes extensive handouts and when done, you will have your own 8 chapter book of Zentangle by Sharla R. Hicks, Certified Zentangle Teacher CZT. NOTE: Each handout gives you an additional 4+ tangles as homework related to the week’s theme.
Class 1 Example
Botanical Class, Certified Zentangle Teacher, Copyright 2014
Botanical Zentangle Dance Example
Sharla’s Current Class Schedule
SoftExpressions.com CLICK HERE
Soft Expressions 1230 N. Jefferson St. Suite M Anaheim CA 92807
Click to Enlarge & Print
Tangled Expressions Blog Newsletter